Friday, March 16, 2012

DIY Coconut Lavender Body Butter




First let me start with I picked this recipe up from the folks at The Nourished Life -  http://www.livingthenourishedlife.com/2012/02/homemade-whipped-coconut-oil-body.html  My version did not turn out exactly like theirs (mine is not fluffy in texture)... but my skin is soft and I smell wonderful so I'm happy.  I played with the proportions a bit and here is my version:


1 16 oz jar of coconut oil (if you like the coconut smell purchase virgin oil, if not purchase the refined oil)
10 - 20 drops of essential oil (my favorite is lavender, but you could use any single or mixed scent you like or even skip this step)


Do NOT melt or soften the coconut oil.  Put all ingredients into an electric mixer and whip for 6 to 10 minutes until it begins to resemble whipped cream (mine never did this, but it still turned out fine).  Pour/Scoop back into jar or another decorative jar.  Done.

SO EASY!  The total cost when using items purchased from Whole Foods:
Coconut Oil: $7.99 on sale
Lavender Essential Oil 2 oz: $17.99 I used less than 1/20 of the bottle meaning about .90 worth was used (I use this stuff in a lot of different household/skin products, so I purchased the larger bottle).
So for under $10 and about 10 minutes, I have 16 oz of wonderful smelling body oil/cream.  LOVE IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment